Monday, October 19, 2009

Pain as a Messenger

We often get plenty of chances to hear the messages our body and our spirit is telling us.

I am reminded of the story of the man with flood that is coming to town. One man decided that since he was a religious man, God would save him. Soon the water started rising and coming into his house. But when a neighbor came by with a car to offer to take him to safety, he refused help by saying, “I am a religious man. God will save me!” The water kept rising and by now the man was standing on his roof. Just then a boat came by to take him to safety. But once again he refused by saying, “I am a religious man and God will save me!” By the time the water was up to his neck, helicopter came by to pick him and take him to safety. But once again, he refused by saying, “I am a religious man and God will save me!” Well, unfortunately that man drowned. When he got to heaven and saw God, in a huff, he demanded to hear from God. “God, I am a religious man. I thought you were going to save me! What happened?” God replied, “What do you mean? I sent you a car, a boat and a helicopter!”

When we live with chronic pain, we are ignoring our body’s message. Something is wrong. Something needs to be fixed. How long are you willing to let that pain exist and speak to you before you finally get the point? Do you kill the messenger by simply taking a pain reliever?


Whether it is with physical pain, repetitive behavioral patterns, or poor relationship choices, when we are making choices to ignore messages of the body, the mind, or the spirit; we are choosing not to learn now what we need to learn to grow. We are like a hamster stuck on the wheel. At some point, at some time, we will be ready to step off, learn the lesson, and start a new path of growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment